ProPokerGuide's Playing Poker Responsibly
While the majority of people do gamble within their means, for some it can spiral out of control. In order to help you keep control PPG would like you to remember the following:
Use gambling as entertainment and not as a way of making money.
Avoid chasing losses.
Only gamble what you can afford to lose
Keep track of the time and amount of money you spend gambling.
Use the deposit limits and time limits on the player protection page to control the amount you can spend if you think you need help setting boundaries.
Know when to Fold
Online gambling is another form of entertainment and only that. If gambling has placed a burden on your life either financially or emotionally, we suggest you ask yourself the following twenty questions:
2. Has gambling ever made your home life unhappy?
3. Did gambling affect your reputation?
4. Have you ever felt remorse after gambling?
5. Did you ever gamble to get money with which to pay debts or otherwise solve financial difficulties?
6. Did gambling cause a decrease in your ambition or efficiency?
7. After losing did you feel you must return as soon as possible and win back your losses?
8. After a win did you have a strong urge to return and win more?
9. Did you often gamble until your last dollar was gone?
10. Did you ever borrow to finance your gambling?
11. Have you ever sold anything to finance gambling?
12. Were you reluctant to use "gambling money" for normal expenditures?
13. Did gambling make you careless of the welfare of yourself or your family?
14. Did you ever gamble longer than you had planned?
15. Have you ever gambled to escape worry or trouble?
16. Have you ever committed or considered committing, an illegal act to finance gambling?
17. Did gambling cause you to have difficulty in sleeping?
18. Do arguments, disappointments or frustrations create within you an urge to gamble?
19. Did you ever have an urge to celebrate any good fortune by a few hours of gambling?
20. Have you ever considered self-destruction or suicide as a result of your gambling?
Most compulsive gamblers will answer yes to at least seven of these questions. If you would like to seek professional advice, please click on one of the following links:
National Council on Problem Gambling
Be sure to check out our other poker articles. Talk about this poker article at our friendly poker discussion forum. Write a poker related article, and get it read by thousands of poker players. Get credit for it. Click here for more details on submitting an article to us.